- Mother's Day Brunch
- Carrot Soup with Cucumber Pistachio Relish
- How to Bowl Properly!
- How to Throw an Alice in Wonderland Party!
- 5 Fun Fall Activities
- I will dance for 12 hours, if you will not use paper towels for 1 week!
- Lemon Quinoa Salad
- The Benefits of Garlic!
- What is a Heart Healthy Diet?
- Important Moving Tips to Make Home Relocation Successful
Celiac Disease: By The Numbers
- 1 in 133 Americans have celiac.
- 2.96 million Americans across all races, ages and genders suffer from celiac.
- 97% of celiacs are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
- 9 years is the average time a person waits to be correctly diagnosed with celiac.
- 17% of celiac patients have an immediate family member who also suffers from celiac.
- 0 medical or pharmaceutical cures currently exist for celiac, underscoring the need for further research in the field.
- A 100% gluten-free diet—a complex, time-consuming and often expensive undertaking—is the only existing treatment for celiac today.
- A positive attitude, 100% of the time helps celiacs create a gluten-free lifestyle for themselves and their affected family members.
- 500,000 new celiac diagnoses are expected to occur in the next 5 years -- thanks to efforts to raise public awareness of celiac.
- $5,000-$12,000 is the average cost of misdiagnosis (per person, per year) of celiac, not including lost work time.
© 2004. National Foundation for Celiac Awareness • P. O. Box 544 • Ambler, PA 19002 • www.CeliacCentral.org • United Way Agency Donor Choice Number 15403.
All information current as of 1/16/06<. NFCA materials and information are not exhaustive, nor should they be relied upon to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual. These materials should not be used in place of a visit or consultation with one's physician or healthcare provider.
Back to listings of articles about Home & Food